The Arts Alliance's Arts Scholarship Program has been in existence since 1996, and over the past 15 years thousands of dollars have been awarded to encourage and assist Charles County's many gifted student artists, performers, and writers to continue their formal education at institutions of higher learning all over the United States.
Arts Alliance President Diane Rausch said, "The mission of the Charles County Arts Alliance is to promote the arts in our county, and one of the most important ways we do this is by investing in the future arts education of our very talented young people. In their future careers in the exciting world of music, visual art, drama, dance and literature, they will contribute their creative energies and share their unique insights with our society as a whole."
Arts Scholarship Coordinator Cindy Johnson added, "The Arts Alliance works very closely in partnership with the Charles County Public Schools to ensure the most qualified of students are selected for our arts scholarships. This year's seven recipients are truly deserving of this honor."
The 2011 Arts Scholarship recipients are:
- Karyn Raub of the College of Southern Maryland. Karen is majoring in visual art and is continuing her studies at the College of Southern Maryland.
- Crystal Montgomery of Thomas Stone High School. Crystal plans to major in photography and will attend the College of Southern Maryland.
- Melissa Reen of La Plata High School. Melissa plans to major in visual art at the Maryland Institute College of Art.
- Helayna Roberts of Henry Lackey High School. Helayna plans to major in visual art/photography at Hofstra University.
- Nicholas P. Teleky of North Point High School. Nicholas plans to major in music at Tufts University.
- Tony Vo of Westlake High School. Tony plans to major in theatre and will attend the College of Southern Maryland.
- Amber King of Maurice McDonough High School. Amber plans to major in music at Marshall University.